Melon seeds are nutrients-packed super food but they are usually ignored. They are loaded with vitamins and minerals. Melon seeds are a good source of vitamin B, magnesium, essential amino acids, fatty acids, proteins and fibers. They help in preventing heart diseases, blood pressure, diabetes and are also good for skin and boosting energy levels. So add melon seeds in salads, soups, gravy or even cakes.
This recipe is very simple and common but instead of using peanuts(that is usually added), I've used melon seeds for the above mentioned benefits. Unlike peanut brittle (chikki), these balls are soft, NOT hard. And as we all know that jaggery is good for digestion, so these balls are perfect for after-meals sweet cravings. Get the recipe here
1. Dry roast melon seeds in a pan. When they start to pop, turn off the burner. keep aside in a bowl.
2. Coarsely grind fennel seeds and cardamom seeds.
3. In a pan add 1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter) and jaggery. Put 1/4 cup water too.
4. Cook on a low flame till the jaggery just thickens (don't make it very thick, remember we need soft balls)
5. Now add shredded coconut, fennel seeds, cardamom seeds and melon seeds.
6. Mix well and spread on a greased flat surface.
7. When it is cool enough to handle, make balls (get ready for a sticky work)
8. Store in a glass jar and keep it in a cool place or if you live in a hot place, u can refrigerate them (this will not chill them)