Split gram (channa dal) is a super-food that can keep you full for long. It is high in protein and fibers, very versatile and has a nutty taste and buttery texture. I like to eat channa dal, cooked in different style, at least twice a week . This recipe is one of my favourite channa dal recipe. I've added cottage cheese to add more protein to this recipe. Hope you like it too!Recipe here
You need2cups split gram (channa dal)
1 cup cottage cheese(paneer) cubed
1 medium-sized onion (chopped)
4 medium-sized tomatoes (pureed)
1/4 cup raisins
handful of coriander leaves
1tbsp ginger-garlic paste
4 cups of water
1tsp turmeric powder
Salt to taste
For masala you need2tbsp grated coconut
1/2tsp cumin seeds
1/2tsp fennel seeds
1tsp coriander seeds
a small cinnamon stick
10 pepper corns
2 dried chillies
8-10 peanuts seeds
1-2 black cardamoms
Method1. Soak split gram at least for 6 hours in warm water.
2. Heat 2tbsp of oil and roast all the spices.
3. Blend all the roasted spices (add a little water if needed). Your masala mix is ready.
4. In a wok, heat remaining oil, put onions and ginger-garlic paste.
5. when onions are a little brown, add the masala mix and turmeric powder.
6. Now add soaked split gram, cook for another 4-5 minutes and then add the tomato puree.
7. When all the masala juices are absorbed, add water (if using homemade cheese, you can use the whey) and salt. Cook till gram gets soft.
8. Lastly add cottage cheese and raisins. Keep the consistency as per your choice.
Enjoy with roti or make sandwiches. My sweet chilli chutney goes well with it!