The moment you have tasted pasta, I'm sure you must have fallen in love with it !!! Before this recipe, I tried tomato pasta many times but never found it satisfactory, then finally it hit me and since then I am happy with it. This recipe is really good and very close to the classic one. It is the basic tomato pasta sauce, once you make it , you can add any vegetable or meat. Of course, it tastes great with cheese and cream but if you are on a dairy-free diet, you can skip adding them. It will taste good without them. But if you are not, I will recommend adding them. So next time craving for tomato pasta, don't buy the store-bought pasta sauce, just try this recipe and cook the natural way!!!Hope you like it!
7 cups pasta
4 red onions (finely chopped)
12 medium sized tomatoes
bunch of fresh basil
4-6 cloves garlic
1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
1/4 cup fresh cream (optional)
1/3 cup tomato ketchup (or 1/2 tin tomatoes and 2 teaspoon sugar )
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
3 tablespoon olive oil
Parmesan cheese (to sprinkle) (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Fill a big pot with water (more than half, about 3/4) . Bring it to boil, add 1 tablespoon salt. Add pasta and cook till done.
2. Meanwhile blanch tomatoes ( put tomatoes in boiling water for 4 minutes and then put them in cold water)
3. Peel the tomatoes skin off and then purée tomatoes with basil leaves.
4. Heat oil in a pan, sauté chopped onions and garlic till they turn golden brown. Add in tomato purée. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Now add vinegar, ketchup,oregano and season with salt and pepper
6. Drain pasta and put it in the tomato sauce. Also add some water in which you have cooked the pasta. Lastly add cheese and cream (if using). Mix and coat gently. Garnish with parmesan cheese, basil leaves and drizzle some extra virgin olive oil.