You need2 cups cooked beans (see below)
1 carrot (chopped)
1 red bell pepper (chopped)
1/2 cup shredded purple cabbage
5 tomatoes (finely chopped)
1 teaspoon ginger (minced)
1 teaspoon coriander stem (chopped)
4 cups Chicken stock or vegetable stock or water
1 tablespoon dark brown sugar or molasses
2 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon vinegar
1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1-2 tablespoon oil
salt to taste
Chilli flakes (to sprinkle on top)
coriander leaves (for garnishing)
1. Heat oil in a pot, add cumin seeds and fry them till fragrant. Put in minced ginger, carrot and coriander stem and cook for 1 minute.
2. Now add beans and tomatoes. Stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
3. Season with sugar, salt and pepper and pour in the stock (or water). Cook for 5 minutes more.
4. Now add bell pepper, cabbage, vinegar and lemon juice. Cook covered on low flames for another minute.
5. Serve the soup in a bowl, sprinkle some chilli flakes and garnish with coriander leaves. Enjoy with some bread!
Note:- 1. To cook beans (dried), wash beans and soak them in salted water overnight or for 4 hours in warm water. Cook the beans in the same water till soft (do not overcook). The water should be a little more than double in quantity of beans (so 1 cup dried beans + 2 (or more) cups water = 2 cups cooked beans.)
2. If you prefer spicy soup, add a chopped green chilli in Step no. 2 above.