This rice recipe is easy but not quick (specially if using homemade coconut milk), still worth the efforts. This can be eaten with or without any curry dish. You can use store-bought coconut milk but homemade is always the best. So try this recipe someday and cook the natural way!!! Hope you like it!!!!
You Need2 cups rice
3 + 3/4 cups water
1 star anise
2 black cardamoms
1/2 teaspoon mace powder
1/2 teaspoon dried basil leaves
1/2 cup coconut (grated)
4 cups boiled chana ( see note)
1 cup beans (cut in 1 inch long pieces)
1 onion (sliced)
2 red bell peppers (chopped)
4 tomatoes (cut in big pieces)
2 cups coconut milk (thick) (how to make homemade coconut milk)
4 tablespoon oil
1/2 cup fresh coriander leaves
1/4 cup mint leaves
5 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon pepper powder
salt to taste
Method1. Wash and rinse rice. Now add 3 cups plus 3/4 cup of water to rice along with star anise, black cardamoms, mace powder and a little salt. When rice start boiling, simmer the flames and cook till done (soft but firm). When cooked, add basil leaves and grated coconut. Keep aside covered.
2. Grind together coriander leaves, mint leaves and garlic. Keep aside.
3. In a wok (kadai), heat oil. Sauté bell peppers, onion and beans for 5 minutes.
4. Add chana, tomatoes and the coriander-mint mix. Cook for few more minutes.
5. Season with chilli powder, pepper and salt. Add coconut milk and cook for another 5-8 minutes.
6. Lastly add the cooked rice and carefully mix well. Turn off the burner and Keep it covered for few minutes.
7. Garnish with coriander leaves and coconut. Serve hot with or without any curry recipe.
Note- To boil chana,wash and rinse dried chana. Soak them in salted water
overnight. Boil in the same water (to save nutrients) till done.