Holi (the festival of colours in India) is round the corner and the food blog world is flooded with delicious and tempting sweets. And here is mine. Well, now when we have learnt to make HOMEMADE CONDENSED MILK, let's use it to make these delicious ladoos. I think when we add Coconut to any recipe, it creates a magic. The food tastes amazing. What do you think? In these ladoos (balls) also coconut is dominating. I have also added cashews that give these ladoos a very distinct taste. So, you can say, it is a combination of kaju katli (cashew fudge) and nariyal ladoo (coconut fudge). It is an easy and very popular sweet here. So try these ladoos (balls) this holi and cook the natural way!
1 cup suji (semolina)
3/4 cup dessicated coconut (or 1 cup grated fresh coconut)
(plus more coconut for coating)
1/3 cup cashew nuts
seeds of 3 green cardamoms
1 and 1/2 cup milk
3/4 cup condensed milk (How to make HOMEMADE CONDENSED MILK)
1 tablespoon ghee (clarified butter)
1. Grind together cashew nuts and cardamom seeds into a coarse powder. Keep aside.
2. In a heavy bottom pan (or kadai or wok), heat ghee. Add semolina and keep stirring till the semolina appears golden brown and popped.
3. Once the semolina (sooji) is ready, add coconut and cashew mix. Stir for another minute.
4. Pour milk and stir vigorously to avoid making lumps. Lastly add condensed milk and mix well.
5. Take off the burner and spread the mixture on a flat surface to cool.
6. When cooled enough to handle, make equal sized balls.
7. Roll and coat each ladoo (ball) in coconut. ENJOY!!
Makes 20-25 ladoos (balls)