When it comes to satisfy my hunger, I prefer one or two chapatis (whole wheat flat bread) with any vegetables mix. But sometimes for a change and newness, I make these bell peppers stuffed with broken wheat (daliya). It serves me the same as chapati and sabji (vegetables mix). Broken wheat, as the name suggests, are broken berries of wheat. It has all the benefits of whole wheat flour, plus even more as it contains the outer bran and the wheat germ also, hence more fibres! This whole grain food is rich in magnesium and helps to control weight, diabetes and heart problems. The stuffing also has o cottage cheese and other vegetables, making it a healthy and satisfying treat.
Using every coloured bell pepper not only makes the platter looks attractive but also interesting, as they have their own unique taste. For a bell pepper lover, like me, its a feast!! The broken wheat gives this recipe a very nutty chewy texture and blends great with rest of the ingredients. And Parmesan cheese gives a nice cheesy kick to it! So if you like it, then try it AND always cook the natural way!!!
You need5-6 bell peppers ( any or of all colours)
1 and 1/2 cup broken wheat
1 cup cottage cheese (paneer) (How to make homemade Paneer?)
1/2 cup boiled peas
3 medium-sized potatoes (boiled)
2 garlic cloves
1/2 inch long ginger (grated)
2 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon amchur (dried mango powder)
1 teaspoon pepper powder
1 teaspoon garam masala (optional)
salt to taste
1/4 cup parmesan cheese
2 tablespoon raisins (optional)
1 tablespoon oil
Method1. Cook broken wheat in 3-4 cups of water till done. (Discard excess water, if there)
2. In a large bowl, mash together potatoes, peas, paneer (cottage cheese), ginger and garlic .
3. Add broken wheat, basil, amchur, garam masala (if using), salt and pepper. Mix well. Keep aside.
4. Prepare bell peppers-- Cut the stem off and cut the bell peppers in halves. Discard seeds and the pith. Lightly grease them with a little oil. Stuff the peppers with the prepared mixture.
5. Grease a baking try with the remaining oil. Arrange the peppers on the tray and sprinkle some parmesan cheese on top.
6. Bake at 200 C for 15-20 minutes. If you wish you can add some raisins during the last 5 minutes. Serve hot!