Being a Punjabi, I have eaten kidney beans, aka rajma, a lot, but never got bored eating them, in fact, I can eat them everyday!! Beans are not only look beautiful but also have many health benefits. They provide energy, fibers, antioxidants, folate and magnesium. They are also a good source of protein and iron. So happily add them in soups, stews, salads and more. I've had baked beans quite a lot time but this recipe is so delicious, buttery and flavorful and that's what I wanted!!! I tried many vegetables but found capsicum the best. Baking the vegetables with beans actually intensifies all the flavours together. So try it and cook the natural way!!! Hope you like it!!!!
You need250g dried kidney beans
8-7 tomatoes (sliced or pureed)
3 medium-sized onions (chopped)
3 garlic cloves (chopped)
2 capsicums (chopped)
1/2 cup spring onions (chopped)
3 sprig fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
4 green cardamoms
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
2 teaspoon vinegar
2 teaspoon molasses or sugar
bunch of coriander leaves
2-3 tablespoon oil
12 bread slices
salt and pepper
For tomato chutney
1 1/2 cup coriander leaves (loosely packed)
salt to taste
2 medium-sized carrots (grated)
2 spring onions (chopped)
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt to taste
Method1. Wash and soak the beans in salted water (about 1 tablespoon of salt)for at least 6 hours (or overnight). Then cook them in the same water in a large pot till soft and done. This may take 45 minutes to 1 and a half hour, but if you use pressure cooker, it takes half an hour.
2. Heat oil in a pan, fry cardamoms and thyme till fragrant. Saute onions and garlic till golden brown. Now add tomatoes and a little water. Cover and cook till tomatoes are soft and juicy. Add the beans and cook till the mixture thickens.
3. Put the Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, molasses, capsicum, spring onions and coriander leaves in. Mix well. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for a minute and transfer the beans into a deep baking pan.
4. Bake the beans in a preheated oven at 200 C for 45-60 minutes.
For Tomato chutney
Blend all the ingredients till smooth.
In a bowl, add carrots, spring onions, coriander leaves, lemon juice and salt. Toss well.
1. Spread the chutney on the bread slice, put beans and salad, cover with another bread slice on top.
2. Grill the sandwiches till crisp.