Cottage cheese (paneer) is a protein-power food and a good source of calcium, vitamins and fats. It has relatively less calories than other types of cheese and is very versatile. I almost always use homemade cottage cheese as it is ridiculously easy to make at home. I'm gonna tell you three ways to make it and two methods , one quick method and another not so quick method :). click here
You need2 lts of milk (can use low-fat milk to make low-fat cheese)
a sieve or a cheesecloth
Way1Boil the milk
Add 1/4 cup vinegar (u can use cider vinegar, white vinegar)
Way 2Boil the milk
Add a lemon in a cup of lukewarm water
Pour the lemon into the boiling milk
Way 3Boil the milk
Put a cup of sour curd(yogurt). (if you don't the sour curd u can add lemon drops to make it sour)
Now the Quick method1. When the milk curdles (any which way you use) turn off the burner.
2. Place a sieve over a bowl and strain the curdled milk and separate the whey.
3. Gather it to the center of the sieve.
4. Keep a flat plate on it and put pressure on it with a heavy thing
5.The cheese is ready in 15 minutes.
6. Use immediately or Store the cheese in refrigerator (upto 2 days)
And now not so quick method1. When the milk curdles, turn off the burner.
2. Place a cheese cloth over a bowl , strain and separate the whey.
3. Tie the cheesecloth and squeeze the excess whey.
4. Leave the cloth hanging till all the liquid goes away.
5. Use immediately or Store the cheese in refrigerator (upto 2 days)
Enjoy fresh homemade cottage cheese!!!!
Tip: You can use the whey as stock or can knead the dough with it!